Health and Safety FAQs
Employers should know where asbestos is located in their workplaces. This information can be ascertained from building drawings and information or through an Asbestos Survey carried out by a competent person. An Asbestos Register containing areas should be made and maintained, so that maintenance and building contractors can be informed before carrying out works in these areas.
It is a legal, inspectable requirement under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 to carry out a workplace Fire Risk Assessment annually, or more frequently if there are high-risk actions outstanding. Failure to carry out or maintain a Fire Risk Assessment could put employees in danger and invalidate insurance in the event of a fire.
The top hazards that cause injury across all workplaces are manual lifting and slips, trips and falls.
Employers have a strict legal duty under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 to identify key workplace hazards and to inform employees about protective measures in place. This is usually achieved through the provision of appropriate training. All such training must be recorded. Once key workplace hazards have been identified, employers must assess the risk to safety and health for each of these hazards and introduce risk control measures to reduce them.
Risk control measures may include: avoiding exposure to hazards, isolating or guarding of hazards, following specific working procedures or safe systems of work, providing protective equipment and providing training. These control measures may be critical to containing the risk to an acceptable level and must be implemented and monitored. For more information check out our full advice list on hazards and risks in the workplace here.
Health and Safety Audits and Inspections
Outsourcing Health and Safety
Fire Training and Risks
- Do we need fire wardens/marshals?
- Is smoking permitted in fire assembly areas?
- What regulations apply to Fire Training?
- What are the rules on fire escapes?
- What can you store under stairs?
Health and Safety Regulations
- What are the regulations related to asbestos in the work place?
- What is the health and safety legislation for work equipment?
- What are the health and safety regulations with regard to Working Space?
Risk Assessment and Management
- What are workplace hazards and risks?
- How to manage risk for disabled workers?
- How does the HSE classify business risk across different industries?
- What risks need to be assessed?
- What does a Risk Assessment look like?
- How to carry out workstation/DSE assessments?
- What risk assessments do we have to carry out if we have hazardous substances at work?
- What are the risks associated with Legionella?
Managing Absence and Accidents
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- How often do you need to check electrical systems and portable electrical appliances?
- What is the role of senior management in health and safety?
- Who is responsible for health and safety?
- Who is liable for self-repairs to trip hazards?
- How often is health and safety training needed?
- What health and safety training is needed?
- How many first-aid trainers do I need?
Health and Safety Reporting
- How to report injuries at school?
- How to report near misses or accidents involving young members of staff?
- How to report injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences at work?
Health and Safety Management
- Are employers obliged to offer prescription safety glasses?
- How big does a workplace room have to be?
- What is the minimum number of Toilet/Washroom Facilities?
- What are the first aid requirements in a home care environment?
- How to keep the workplace free of waste?
- How to manage on-site contractors?
- What should we do if our employees are complaining about health and safety at work?
- When to notify the health and safety authorities?
- How to manage Display Screen Equipment workspaces?
- How to manage noise levels?
- How to manage H&S in a cricket club?
Miscellaneous health and safety questions
- What is a healthy working environment?
- What are prohibition or improvement notices?
- What is the H&S policy for small companies?
- What are the rules about working outside in warm weather?
- What are the health and safety rules for company days out?
- What are the rules on Personal Protective Equipment in extreme weather conditions?
- What are the rules on work-related driving and car park health and safety?